Businesses making use of Hotpoint, Indesit or Creda tumble dryers should go on PAT training courses so they can see if their appliances are safe to use, after it was found that 113 different models could pose a fire risk.
Research from Which? has found that more than 100 models made between April 2004 and October this year could prove problematic, representing 80 per cent of all those made during this period.
The manufacturers are yet to publish a list of all the models that have been affected, but the Which? investigation has revealed those that could start a fire. Check this list to see if you have a model that could cause a real problem.
The company is now advising people to check their dryers to see if they have a green dot sticker inside the door, on the door itself or on the rim of the door. If there is a green dot, then your tumble dryer is not included in the safety alert.
This comes after research from Co-op Insurance found that electrical faults are to blame for some 23 per cent of all fire claims. It was found that the number of fires started in this way has risen by 29 per cent in the last three years, with tumble dryers, washing machines and electric blankets to blame, as well as chargers for e-cigarettes and mobile phones.
Book yourself a place on a portable appliance testing training course to learn how to test your own appliances and do a lot to prevent the risk of fire.