Play Centre Electrical Fire Sees Kids Evacuated

A small fire that started in an electric box at play centre Funkidories in Fareham in Portsmouth saw groups of children and parents evacuated, and three fire engines called in to help tackle the blaze.

According to the Portsmouth News, it took around an hour to make the area safe once more, with thermal imaging cameras used to ensure that no hot spots remained that could potentially start another fire.

Steve Pearce of Gosport fire station said: “An electrical fire broke out and they managed to evacuate everyone as we got there. It filled the kitchen with smoke and set the alarm off … It was a small electrical fire but it created a lot of smoke.”

Business owners need to be vigilant where their electrical appliances are concerned in order to prevent fires from breaking out – and the best way to go about this is to undergo PAT testing training so you can check that all equipment is safe to use and doesn’t represent a fire risk.

You can of course call out a professional electrician each and every time you need something tested but this will quickly become expensive. The best way to keep on top of your electrical checks is to learn to PAT test products yourself. This will save you both time and money – and the best part is that it’s not hard to learn. You can acquire the skills in a day, with courses costing around £100 so as investments go it’s certainly a good one.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *